Don’t let the colder temps send your dating life into hibernation mode. Let these 21 Twin Cities winter date night ideas inspire you!
It’s easy to fall into the same old rut when it’s date night. If you’re anything like us, it can be hard to just get to date night… find the time, line up the sitter, and get out the door. It can be easy to fall back on, well, what’s easy: the same restaurant, the same movie theater, etc. We’re here to provide you with some fresh ideas to liven up date night.
Here is a list of winter date night ideas in the Twin Cities for when just “going out to eat” isn’t going to cut it:
21 Winter Date-Night Ideas
- A Helicopter Tour of Downtown St. Paul Minnesota Helicopters tours offer 7, 15, or 30-minute tours of Downtown St. Paul. Take in all the sites with a bird’s eye view! Enjoy dinner before or after at Holman’s Table. Tours are available on Saturdays from 3 pm – 9 pm weather permitting.
- Upstairs Circus Think of this as craft night meets bar. At Upstairs Circus, you’ll choose a craft or DIY project while enjoying drinks at this super fun and funky spot in the North Loop! Feeling a little competitive? Race to the top and the person that loses has to put the kids to bed the next night!
- Non-Traditional Sports Night – Why not take in a Roller Derby bout or perhaps go head to head in the ultimate game of mini-golf at Can Can Wonderland? Yell “FORE!” while semi-adequately swinging a golf club at Top Golf. OR channel your inner Paul Bunyan and try your hand at axe-throwing.
- Cooking Classes In a cooking or meal idea rut? Try taking a cooking class together! You might get some great new meal ideas and have fun learning how to make them together. Try Cooks | Bellecour, She Cooks Design, Minneapolis Community Education, or Mimi’s Cooking Class.
- The Watershed Spa Minnesota winters are tough on our skin. Relax and enjoy the community bathing ritual at Watershed Spa. This ritual bathing experience is super amazing – rejuvenating and relaxing all in one. Don’t miss it!
- Igloo Dining: It’s become so popular in the last few years to eat outdoors in the winter in a dome or igloo! Luckily, the Twin Cities has a lot of options for you to try. Make your reservations!
- Snow tubing An evening flying down the hills followed up with some hot chocolate by the fire makes for a great date! A few of our favorite hills are Elm Creek, Wild Mountain, Trollhaugen, and Buck Hill. Check out the entire list of sledding hills!
- Acme Comedy Company This is one of our go-to places for date night. There is something about the cozy atmosphere, delicious drinks (try the Mae West. You will NOT be disappointed!), and an evening of non-stop laughter that makes for a great night out!
- Cross-Country Skiing There are so many amazing park systems in the Twin Cities with groomed cross-country skiing trails. If you don’t have skis, you can rent them for a small fee. Our favorite is Theodore Wirth Park and Elm Creek Park. The trails are gorgeous all lit up at night! For more check out Guide to Twin Cities Ski Areas.
- Ice Skating Check out the Central Park Ice Loop in Maple Grove. The Loop is set to feel like you are ice skating through the park so it is a unique experience. Skating at the Loop is free and they also have skate rentals available, restrooms, concessions, and even a fireplace! If not The Loop, try one of our favorite ice rinks.
- Horse Carriage or Sleigh Ride Check out The Hitching Company to arrange for a romantic night on the town. Cuddle up under a blanket, bring a thermos of hot chocolate (and maybe some Baily’s to put in it), and enjoy the beautiful downtown Minneapolis lights and views. Alternately, go for a fun sleigh ride!
- Attend a Concert Check out the upcoming concerts with the Minnesota Orchestra or go low-key and check out a local live band at a neighborhood bar or the Fine Line Music Cafe.
- Bowling From Punch Bowl Social to Bryant Lake Bowl, there are a lot of great bowling venues in the Twin Cities.
- Wine Tasting There are quite a few wineries close to the Twin Cities that offer tastings. Some of them have food offerings as well. We recently visited Winehaven. There, you can choose six wines to taste while enjoying yourselves at a cozy table by the window that overlooks the vineyard. We could have sat there talking and sipping wine all day!
- Local Brewery or Tap Rooms Are you and your partner into local brews? Surprise them with a tour of Surly Brewing Company or a night out at one or two of their favorite tap rooms. Here’s our list of favorites (they are family-friendly too for when you have the kids along).
- Winter Festivals Hit up one of the many winter festivals such as The City Of Lakes Loppet, Winter Carnival, or US Pond Hockey Championship.
- Ice Castles This year the MN Ice Castles is in Maple Grove near the Maple Grove Community Center. Tickets go on sale in January.
- Winter Walk or Snowshoeing The Twin Cities have so many amazing trail systems that are not only open during the summer, but a lot are open during the winter as well. Too much snow on the trails? Try snowshoeing instead!
- Minnehaha and Riverview Theater Enjoy a cheap date night with a walk around the frozen Minnehaha Falls and then check out a movie at the classic neighborhood Riverview Theater. Movies are only $3 ($2 on select days and anytime before 6 pm).
- OmniTheater at the Science Museum The giant dome screen in the theater is 90 feet wide! Being surrounded by some of the most stunning scenery on our planet while cuddled up with your sweetheart is a great way to spend the night.
- Square Dancing You don’t need to know a thing to enjoy Monday Night Square Dancing at the Eagle’s Lodge in South Minneapolis. They teach everyone new and you’ll have fun learning along with the most experienced set.
Now go call that babysitter ASAP and schedule your next date night!