The playground at Schaper Park is so much fun! This special park was opened in 2017 as an all-abilities playground and also features a ninja-style challenge course. There are several features to this fun space:
- The play area provides full access for all ability and mobility levels and was the first all-inclusive play area in Golden Valley.
- The challenge course offers an outdoor fitness experience designed for people of all ages to enjoy. It encourages families of every fitness level to be active together!
- The fitness park has been designated as a project of excellence for meeting the four elements of a well-rounded exercise program as designated by Playcore.
Where: 631 Ottawa Avenue North, Golden Valley, MN 55422
Hours: 6 AM – 10 PM, Daily
Admission: Free! Schaper Park is a public park owned by the City of Golden Valley
Here’s what we loved about Schaper Park:
- The ground on the fitness course and the all-abilities play area is soft astroturf. It made jumping off of (and falling off of) the challenge course and play structures no big deal!
- The bleachers gave the obstacle course an arena-style feel and gave kids the feeling that their biggest fans were cheering them on!
- Some of the obstacles weren’t easy…giving kids a challenge to keep at it and practice to get through it. It definitely wasn’t a one-and-done situation!
- There was shade. Not all newer playgrounds offer shade canopies or mature trees for shade. This playground had both!
- The courses are perfect for all ability levels. It’s also fun for parents and grown-ups.
- It was a short 10-minute drive from downtown Minneapolis making it super convenient for the West side of the metro.
- Kids were occupied for ages. They loved being timed to see how fast they could complete the course.
- The playground overlooks Schaper Pond and Luce Line Trail making it picturesque and convenient if the family wanted to go for a walk.
- Schaper Park is three minutes from Theodore Wirth Park making it a great pit stop on your way to a bigger adventure.