The benefits of reading in early childhood are well known. Reading helps to develop language skills and a love of learning, as well as emotional intelligence, social skills, and curiosity about the world around them. But for working parents and busy families, it can be tough to fit reading in to the daily routine.
At New Horizon Academy, we know the importance of reading for learning and early childhood development. This is why literacy is a main part of our curriculum for infants, toddlers, preschoolers, and pre-kindergarten. Visit the New Horizon Academy website for more information on curriculum, learning programs and the high commitment to care.
How Reading Impacts Learning
Reading has many benefits for babies and young children. Here are just a few:
- Creates a love of learning.
- Sets the stage for future academic success.
- Builds vocabulary and boosts language development.
- Helps build social skills, emotional intelligence, empathy, and curiosity.
- And more!
How to Make More Time for Reading
If you’re struggling to find enough time for reading in your daily life, we have a few tips:
- Always carry books: Create an on-the-go book bag with books, paper, pencils, and similar items. Keep it in the car or bring it with you when you go to the doctor’s office, sibling sports, restaurants, car trips, or anywhere that you might have free time.
- Listen to audiobooks or podcasts: There are many wonderful podcasts for children, and most library systems have the option of borrowing audiobooks for free. Listening to audio content helps children further understand and develop language.
- Read all the words you see: The words and phrases on billboards, signs, labels, and logos – known as environmental print – is a good way to bridge the connection between words and letters. Encourage your child to read them aloud.
Ultimately, any and all reading is beneficial for children. Try fitting reading into the smaller moments of your day, and watch your child’s language skills flourish!
Now Open in Minneapolis!
New Horizon Academy is now open in downtown Minneapolis! Located in the Downtown East neighborhood, our new school is conveniently located within walking distance of several nearby businesses, such as Thrivent, Hennepin County Medical Center, Minneapolis City Hall, Hennepin County Government Center, U.S. Bank Stadium, and many hotels and restaurants.
To learn more about our new downtown Minneapolis daycare center, visit our website.
New Horizon Academy is a nationally recognized early learning provider with more than 80 schools in Minnesota, Colorado, Iowa, Idaho, and Kansas. Through play-based curriculum and high-quality daycare, New Horizon Academy schools nurture and prepare children to succeed in school and in life.
Schedule a tour to learn more about our highly trained teachers, safe and secure facilities, and commitment to providing the highest quality childcare. Contact a New Horizon Academy childcare center near you today!