On your front door hangs a beautifully rustic green and red wreath. Your Christmas cards are in the mailbox, garland is wrapped around the stair banister, your Grandma’s favorite nativity scene adorns your table. Your tree is lit up, years of hand-made ornaments weigh down the branches as it sits, creating that beautiful glow in the early morning hours. You feel the ambience of the holiday season all around you this time of year. It’s a beautiful, joyful, and super busy time of year for everyone. Peppermint lattes and egg nog, gift swaps and holiday parties…
I need something to wear.
What, oh WHAT, am I going to wear to this year’s holiday party?
Whether it be a fancy night out, or a girls-only night in, we’ve got you covered without breaking the bank. Here are some of this year’s top tips for holiday wear.
For a holiday work party or holiday-themed wedding, black or navy is always a safe bet. Try a different cut, fancy-it-up with sequins, and don’t be afraid to do long-sleeves for these frigid MN temps. In the all-black outfit below, I paired my last year’s Xhilaration lace shirt from Target (similar to this one!) with a skirt I had. The skirt was meant to be worn at the hips but I bought a smaller size so I could pull it up past my belly button for the crop top. Add some cute, over-the-top shoes and you’re all set! Don’t forget to add a little bling either with earrings or a necklace. Sometimes less is more with jewelry, let the outfit do the talking.
- Left photo – an oldie but a goodie! I bought this dress a few years ago so I can’t find it online but it’s a Rossmore dress I found at Macy’s. Here are a few fun options (all under $100) I recently found at Nordstrom Rack:
- Middle photo – Eliza J Dress from Nordstroms (a bit pricey but they do go on sale. I’ve worn this dress a handful of times already and paid $88 for it when I first bought it).
- Here’s a fun sequin dress that’s currently on sale – INC Velvet & Sequin
- Right photo – as I mentioned earlier, this is last year’s Xhilaration lace shirt from Target (click here for this year’s version) with a black skirt, similar to this one.
If you’re looking for a pants outfit, here are a few top options paired with these tie waisted wide leg pants from Target. Go with the classic black & white option or add in some fun pops of color for the occasion!
- Far left picture – this is the same shirt from above but I found a newer bodysuit style at Target that would work so well with higher-waisted pants.
- Left middle – this top is sold out but here is a cute ribbed shirt with some different color options.
- Right middle – a solid white blouse is a great staple to have around.
- Far right picture – there are a few clothing pieces I’m willing to splurge on depending on the wear I will get out of them, like this blazer from Evereve. I’ve worn this with shorts in the summer, jeans in the fall, over skirts and dresses, and will wear this outfit to a holiday gathering this month for sure!
Don’t be afraid to use what you might already have in your closet! This fall sleeveless sweater dress definitely works repurposed this holiday season – pair it with faux fur (fur is SO in right now, it is everywhere!), a cute long cardigan, change out your sandals for some winter booties and call it good!
I bought this cheetah print skirt last spring. I’ve worn it so many times with so many different tops. Repurposing something a little wild with something a little classic on top makes for a great choice as animal print is definitely in this season! Here are a few recent skirts I found:
- Good Luck Gem Snake Skin Skirt at Nordstrom Rack
- This Metallic Pleated Midi from Gap is a fun option and on sale!
- Moa Collection at Walmart
For some less dressier options, I found this cute green corduroy dress at Target just last week. Wear it with high boots or short booties, it’s comfy and a pretty teal color. Black jeans were the common denominator in the other two outfits, paired with a brown blazer I inherited from a friend (but try to get a fun material, like this herringbone boyfriend blazer in pink or this brown blazer) a plain black turtleneck, and over-the-knee boots.
Sweaters and denim/black jeans are always a fabulous option for a family party or girls-night-in. Here are some fun sweaters I just recently found!
- Left photo – A New Day Mock Turtleneck at Target
- Middle photo – French Connection Mock Ribbed Sweater – Nordstrom Rack
- Right photo – A New Day Red sweater at Target
I’ve already mentioned faux fur but it is literally everywhere right now and is perfect for us here in Minnesota! I took some of the looks above and paired them with three different fur options.
Picked this Jason Maxwell Faux Fur Vest up at Walmart for $17.50!
Find this Women’s Faux Fur Scarf at Target.
This Sherpa Jacket is at Target and comes in a few different color options.
Happy holidays to you! Whatever you decide to wear, may this holiday season be full of joy, fun memories and maybe some pops of color and sequins!