March is here and that means it’s Spring Break time!! Our family tries to escape the Minnesota winter and enjoy a little beach vacation each year. I love everything about spring break such as the planning, the packing, enjoying the warm fresh air, and the amazing memories our family makes with family and friends… but the one thing I don’t love? Shopping for that perfect swimsuit before we leave!
This year I decided to up my game. This was NOT going to be the year that I went store to store aimlessly looking for a swimsuit only to get frustrated and leave empty handed. Let’s face it, after having kids, sometimes our bodies are not the same as what they used to be. But that doesn’t mean that we still can’t rock (and be comfortable) in a swimsuit on the beach, right?! Here are some of my tips that I used while shopping for a swimsuit this year:
- Find a time that you can go shopping WITHOUT the kids. Shopping with my kids usually isn’t too bad, but the last thing I want to hear in the dressing room (and everyone in the dressing rooms around us) is, “Mom, I see your butt!” “Mom, why do your boobies hang so low?” “Are we done yet?” The list can go on and on of all the lovely things that can come out of a kid’s mouth while watching you try on a swimsuit…
- Get a spray tan or lather on some sunless tanner before you hit the stores to try on swimsuits. I don’t know about you, but I feel 100 times more confident when I have a nice glowy tan vs my Minnesota winter white skin.
- Shop online. Ok, so if you don’t want to brave going to the stores, order a bunch of suits online and try them on at home! I purchased quite a few swimsuits online this year and I loved being able to try them on and walk around in them to make sure they fit just the way I wanted. Sizing is always hard so I typically order a couple of sizes and then just return the ones that don’t fit.
- Know your best features and pick a suit that shows it off! Do you have amazing abs? Grab that bikini! Need a little more coverage in the midsection? Check out the tankini section. I personally feel like my shoulders and arms are my best feature so I love to go with a bandeau top to show them off.
- Don’t overlook the one piece section. There are so many gorgeous options for all ages. I feel like the designers have really upped their game when it comes to the one piece with beautiful prints, slimming panels, and sexy cutouts. Sometimes us moms don’t want to have to worry about flashing our lady parts while running after the little ones and a one piece does a great job of keeping everything in place.
- Treat your purchase as an investment. I spent years only wearing cheap suites that didn’t quite fit right. I would buy two or three different ill-fitting suites and rotate between them. A few years ago I decided to invest a little more and buy a better quality suit, and you guys, it was life changing! The thicker material, support in all the right places, and the overall feel of the swimsuit gave me so much more confidence while wearing it.
- All ready to go shopping but don’t know where to go? Here are a few of my favorite places to shop for suits:
- Lord & Taylor
- Tommy Bahama
- T.J. Maxx
- Lands’ End
Ok girls, time to head out and do some shopping! So tell us, do you have any tips for swimsuit shopping or any favorite stores that we should add to our list?